- B.A., University of Kansas, Speech Communications and Human Relations, 1979
- B.A., University of Kansas, Radio, TV and Film , 1979
- M.A., University of Kansas, Speech Communication and Human Relations, 1983
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1986
- Ph.D. coursework (ABD), 1981-1986
Margaret Michels specializes in public discourse, in particular argumentation and legal rhetoric. In addition, Michels serves as the course director for the communication apprehension sections of Effective Communication. The study of argumentation focuses on the development of critical thinking skills enabling students to become effective critics of public discourse as well as effective advocates. Rhetoric and law explores the role of persuasion in the legal system from jury deliberations to judicial opinions.