Board of Visitors
The mission of the Alumni Board of Visitors is to work with the Department of Communication Arts and Sciences to facilitate its strategic advancement by energizing alumni, students, and faculty to increase awareness, interest, support, and participation in areas of focus. As we move toward the next major campaign, the board will concentrate on Health Communication and Deliberative Democracy.
The Board brings together individuals from across the nation and from several disciplines who can provide guidance to the department on making links to a broad public audience around issues germane to the focus areas. The Board will meet twice a year and will work with alumni, faculty, students, and friends of Penn State to help the department foster collaboration College- and University-wide on health communication and democracy issues, and help the department leverage expertise and resources to emerge as a leader among its peers.
- Act as ambassadors for Communication Arts and Sciences to alumni, friends, corporations, and foundations.
- Advise the department head concerning projects and programs aimed at a broad public audience.
- Assist the department head in identifying individual or corporate support for the mission and foci of the department.
- Provide financial support to the department through personal contributions and participation in selected fund-raising activities; each member agrees to provide a minimum personal contribution of $5,000 per year for five years.
- Assist the department in ensuring that students in the program are informed about current issues and opportunities in Health Communication and Deliberative Democracy and have the skills and knowledge base needed for success in the work place.